Corpus Christi, TX -- More than $5 million in disaster housing assistance has been approved for those in the disaster designated counties. The Disaster Housing Program includes assistance for basic housing repairs, short-term rental assistance or reimbursement of hotel/motel expenses. Disaster assistance to date:
- Nearly 9,000 individuals have registered for disaster assistance since President George W. Bush's July 17 declaration. Under the disaster declaration, individuals and businesses residing in the counties of Bee, Brazoria, Calhoun, DeWitt, Frio, Galveston, Goliad, Jackson, Karnes, Live Oak, Matagorda, Refugio, Victoria and San Patricio are eligible to apply for disaster assistance.
- Those counties are also eligible for all seven categories for Public Assistance (infrastructure support). Atascosa and McMullen counties are eligible for all seven categories of Public Assistance, but have not been designated as eligible for assistance to individuals and business owners.
- Approved disaster housing and other needs funds total $5,280,811 and will be used for temporary housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related needs.
- Approved funds for Other Needs Assistance total $2,985,280. This program provides grants to individuals who have disaster-related needs for which disaster loans are not available.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has issued more than 5,000 applications and approved more than $500,000 in low-interest disaster loans for repairing or replacing damaged property. SBA urges those who receive application packets in the mail or at Disaster Recovery Centers to complete the applications and return them quickly to SBA. Completing the application is necessary to be eligible for other forms of assistance. If you need help in filling out the SBA application, you can visit one of the Disaster Recovery Centers where SBA Loan Officers will assist you.
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance is available by calling the Texas Workforce Commission Tele-Center at 1-800-939-6631. The line is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The deadline for filing an application is August 21, 2003 for those in Calhoun, Jackson, Matagorda, Refugio and Victoria counties. The filing deadline for those in Bee, Brazoria, Dewitt, Frio, Galveston, Goliad, Karnes, Live Oak and San Patricio counties is August 28, 2003.
- The State Bar of Texas is providing free legal assistance and answers to basic legal questions for those in the disaster declared counties. In addition to answering questions, volunteer lawyers will give referral information in English and Spanish. The number to call is 1-800-504-7030.
- Both adults and children affected by the recent disaster may become stressed and confused by the sudden adversity in their lives. Crisis counselors are located in all Disaster Recovery Centers. Crisis counseling assistance is also available by calling these hotline numbers:
For Calhoun, Goliad, Jackson, Refugio and Victoria counties- 1-800-421-8825
For Matagorda County- 1-800-633-5686
For Bee County- 1-800-841-6467
For Brazoria and Galveston counties- 1-800-643-0967
- The FEMA toll-free registration number is 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)...