Federal Disaster Aid Authorized For Nebraska Storms

Main Content
Release date: 
July 21, 2003
Release Number: 
HQ-03-154

Washington, DC -- The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today that federal disaster funds have made available for Nebraska to help local governments recover from the effects of a series of severe storms that began last month.

Michael D. Brown, FEMA Director and Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response at the Department of Homeland Security, said the aid was authorized under a major disaster declaration issued by President Bush following a review of FEMA's analysis of the state's request for federal relief. The declaration covers damage to public property from severe storms and tornadoes that occurred over the period of June 9 through July 14.

Brown said the President's action allows the state and affected local governments in 10 counties to apply for federal funds to pay 75 percent of the approved costs for debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster, and the repair or replacement of damaged public facilities.

The 10 counties designated eligible for the aid by Brown following the declaration are Cedar, Douglas, Greeley, Howard, Jefferson, McPherson, Perkins, Platte, Stanton and Thayer.

Under the declaration, federal funding also will be available to the state on a cost-shared basis for approved projects that reduce future disaster risks, Brown said. He indicated that additional designations may be made later if requested by the state and warranted by the results of further damage assessments.

Justin R. DeMello of FEMA was named by Brown to coordinate federal recovery operations. DeMello said that procedures for requesting assistance will be explained at a series of applicant briefings at locations to be announced shortly in the affected area.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top