Regulations Governing FEMA, SBA 'Private Non-Profits' Changed

Main Content
Release date: 
June 26, 2003
Release Number: 

Sherwood, AR -- Certain private non-profit (PNP) groups that experienced damages from storms between May 2 and June 10 may be eligible for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), even though they may not have been eligible in the past. FEMA recently revised the policy on the eligibility of PNP groups.

PNP educational, utility, emergency, medical and custodial care facilities do not have to be open to the general public to be considered eligible for disaster assistance. All remaining PNP facilities must be open to the general public to be eligible for assistance.

All PNPs that experienced damages may apply for disaster assistance by calling the State Public Assistance Officer at 501/730-9750. Facilities providing 'critical services' such as power, water, sewer and wastewater, communications, medical treatment, fire protection, emergency rescue and nursing homes may be eligible for assistance through FEMA. These PNPs must first apply for assistance no later than July 5, 2003 by contacting the State Public Assistance Officer at 501/340-4281. PNPs not falling into the 'critical services' category will be directed to apply for a disaster loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). The deadline to apply for PNP loans is August 19.

The following generally may be eligible for assistance: educational facilities, utilities, irrigation, emergency, medical facilities, custodial care and facilities that provide essential government services and which must be open to the general public, such as museums, zoos, community centers, libraries, homeless shelters, senior citizen centers, shelter workshops, low-income housing, alcohol and drug treatment centers, facilities offering programs for battered spouses, animal control facilities, facilities offering food programs for the needy, daycare centers for children or individuals with special needs.

PNPs located in the Arkansas counties of Chicot, Cleburne, Conway, Craighead, Cross, Independence, Jackson, Madison, Newton, Perry, Poinsett, St. Francis, Van Buren, White, and Woodruff may apply through the State Public Assistance Officer for FEMA or SBA assistance.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top