One Week Remains To Submit Mitigation Projects To SEMA

Main Content
Release date: 
June 26, 2003
Release Number: 

Springfield, MO -- One week remains for eligible applicants to submit proposals for hazard mitigation projects to the Missouri State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) for possible funding assistance.

Hazard mitigation is any sustained action taken to reduce or eliminate long-term risk to people and property from natural hazards and their effects. To be considered for federal cost-share funding, project proposals must be received by SEMA by July 7, 2003.

The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) is a cost-share program by which the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides 75 percent of the cost of approved projects. The remaining 25 percent must be met with non-federal sources (e.g., cash, in-kind services, donated materials).

"This is an opportunity for all Missourians to seek ways to better prepare and protect themselves and their communities from future disasters," said Jerry Uhlmann, director of SEMA.

Proposals must include the following information: project location; project description; estimated (100 percent) project cost; explanation of how the 25 percent non-federal funding will be met; estimated work schedule; and an explanation of how the proposed project will reduce or eliminate the long-term risk to life and property from a future disaster.

Eligible applicants include state or local governments; certain private non-profit organizations; and certain Indian tribes or tribal organizations. Examples of eligible projects include the acquisition and demolition of flood-prone structures; the purchase and installation of tornado safe rooms; and placing electrical lines underground.

Uhlmann said that approved projects must be cost-effective, environmentally sound, and designed to reduce or eliminate damages from disasters. Upon receipt of project proposals, mitigation specialists with SEMA and FEMA will review the projects for eligibility. Applicants with eligible projects will be asked to provide further information on the cost-effectiveness and environmental aspects of the proposed project.

For more information about the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, potential applicants may contact Sheela Amin, state mitigation officer, at 573-526-9116.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top