FEMA And State Working Together To Help People Recover

Main Content
Release date: 
June 24, 2003
Release Number: 

Sherwood, AR -- Help is just a phone call away for individuals and business owners affected by the severe storms, flooding and tornadoes from May 2nd through June 10th. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM) officials are offering options to the road to recovery.

The following 19 counties are eligible for individual assistance: Benton, Chicot, Cleburne, Columbia, Conway, Craighead, Crittenden, Cross, Faulkner, Fulton, Jackson, Lonoke, Nevada, Perry, Phillips, Poinsett, St. Francis, White, and Woodruff.

"Many Arkansans have already applied for assistance through the State Disaster Fund, but they may qualify for additional aid through FEMA," said State Coordinating Officer Rich Griffin. "Even if they have called and received a check from the state, they still need to call FEMA to find out if they are eligible for further help from other disaster programs."

Disaster assistance for longer-term needs may be available from FEMA, the state and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Disaster recovery specialists are taking calls from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week.

"Everyone affected by this disaster has unique needs and there is a full range of services to help get them back on their feet," said Federal Coordinating Officer Sandy Coachman. "Our main goal is to get whatever help they are eligible for to them as quickly as possible."

The type and amount of assistance is determined on a case-by-case basis. This assistance may include:

  • Help to renters and homeowners whose primary residences were damaged or destroyed, or who face displacement from their homes due to disaster-related income loss. Assistance can include grants for alternate rental housing and money to replace a destroyed home. This help is administered and funded through FEMA.

  • Low-interest loans from SBA to homeowners, renters and non-farm businesses of all sizes. These loans are based on an applicant's ability to repay and credit worthiness, and are made to repair or replace the disaster-damaged home and personal property, as well as business property. These loans also may provide lost working capital to small businesses. SBA loans are the main source of long-term recovery assistance.

  • Farmers may be eligible to receive SBA disaster loans for damages to their homes and personal property but not for farm production property. Farmers should contact the local Farm Service Agency for information about agricultural losses.

  • Applicants with serious needs that are unmet by insurance, disaster loans or other forms of assistance may be eligible for grants through the Other Needs Assistance (ONA) Program administered by the state.

Other disaster assistance may include:

  • Income Tax Advice and Assistance
  • Loans to Farmers, Ranchers or Low-Income Rural Residents
  • Social Security Assistance
  • Veteran's Assistance
  • Emergency Individual and Family Needs through Voluntary Agencies
  • Insurance Information

After calling the registration number, people who need additional disaster-related information, who are having trouble with the paperwork or who want to check the status of their application may call the helpline, seven days a week, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., at 1-800-621-FEMA (TTY at 1-800-462-7585).

Griffin added: ...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top