Disaster Assistance Expanded In Three Missouri Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
June 13, 2003
Release Number: 
1463-60

Springfield, MO -- After a review of disaster damages across Missouri, federal disaster assistance has been expanded in Marion, Monroe and Saline Counties to include Public Assistance (Infrastructure), state and federal officials announced today.

The designation will help governmental entities, public utilities and certain non-profit organizations in these counties pay for eligible costs resulting from the tornadoes, severe storms and flooding that caused damages between May 4 and May 30.

Initially, residents of Marion, Monroe and Saline Counties were eligible to apply for individual assistance. Now, with the addition of Public Assistance, certain public and non-profit entities in these counties will be eligible to recoup certain costs associated with debris removal, emergency protective measures, as well as funding to help repair eligible disaster damages to public roads, bridges, buildings and utilities.

"The federal government reimburses 75 percent of certain associated costs," explained Mike Karl, federal coordinating officer for the Missouri recovery effort. "The remaining 25 percent comes from non-federal funds."

With the addition of these three new counties, 34 Missouri counties are now eligible to apply to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for funding from the Public Assistance (Infrastructure) Program.

Public Assistance is a based on a partnership between FEMA, the state, and local officials. After a disaster declaration, designated counties, governmental entities, public utilities, and certain non-profit and private institutions within those counties are eligible for federal assistance to respond to and recover from the disaster. Eligible private, non-profit institutions include educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care and those facilities providing essential service of a governmental nature. Volunteer fire departments, non-profit utilities, water districts, community centers, museums, zoos, and libraries may also be eligible.

To assist public jurisdictions in applying for funding, state and federal officials will conduct informational briefings for interested applicants in Marion, Monroe and Saline Counties.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top