FEMA, ADEM Open Disaster Field Office

Main Content
Release date: 
June 12, 2003
Release Number: 

Sherwood, AR -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM) have set up a Disaster Field Office in response to the federal disaster declaration for the May thunderstorms, tornadoes and flooding.

At this time, the federal declaration only covers damage to infrastructure, including debris removal, emergency protective measures, and costs to repair or replace roads, bridges and other public facilities damaged by the recent storms. Funding may be available to state agencies, local governments and certain nonprofit agencies providing government-like services.

The state has re-requested federal assistance for individuals and the request is being reviewed by FEMA. At this time Arkansans with uninsured damages to their primary residence, who live in the following counties, may apply for state disaster assistance: Benton, Cleburne, Chicot, Conway, Craighead, Crittenden, Cross, Faulkner, Jackson, Lonoke, Perry, Poinsett, Phillips, St. Francis, Woodruff, and White.

Arkansans may apply by calling 1-877-828-3362, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Friday, June 20. Residents in Benton, Chicot and Phillips counties can call through Wednesday, June 25. Calls will not be taken on weekends.

State Programs to assist disaster victims include:

Temporary Housing Assistance Grants, for victims whose primary residences were destroyed or are uninhabitable as a result of the storms, are available through ADEM. The program offers one month of assistance for pre-disaster renters and up to three months for pre-disaster homeowners. If the victim has a homeowner's policy and their policy allows for Additional Living Expenses (ALE), they are ineligible for state assistance until the ALE is depleted. The state will assess the individual's needs and Temporary Housing Assistance will be offered to those individuals who are eligible.

The Individual and Family Grant Program, (IFG) administered by the Arkansas Department of Human Services, assists disaster victims with serious needs or necessary expenses that were incurred as a result of the disaster. Eligible categories concerning uninsured losses include: assisting in repair or replacement of primary residence, repair/replacement of personal property, essential transportation, funeral expenses, and medical expenses.

Disaster victims may apply for the IFG Program by making an appointment by telephone with their county's Department of Human Services office. The number for each DHS office can be obtained by calling ADEM.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top