Main Content

Tips For Disaster Recovery And Prevention

Release date: 
June 11, 2003
Release Number: 

Birmingham, AL -- The State of Alabama and the Federal Emergency Management Agency offer many programs to help affected residents and businesses recover in counties designated by the President as disaster areas.

  • To apply, call toll-free 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). The TTY number for speech- and hearing-impaired applicants is 1-800-462-7585.

  • Disaster assistance is available to eligible homeowners, renters and businesses.

Here are some affordable ways to protect your family and property from future loss:

Get flood insurance.

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) makes flood insurance available in communities that agree to adopt and enforce floodplain management ordinances. What you need to know:

  • Flood insurance may be purchased from your regular insurance provider.

  • If your agent won't sell you flood insurance, call Alabama NFIP Coordinator Chuck Sanders at 334-353-1966 or Alabama Deputy State Insurance Commissioner Johnny Johnson at 334-241-4101.

  • Floodplain maps are available in local town halls or county courthouses.

  • Even if you live outside the floodplain, flood insurance is a good investment. More than 30 percent of all claims paid by NFIP are for policies outside the floodplain.

  • People who qualify for Other Needs Assistance as a result of flood damage to their home or personal property will be provided, at no cost, flood insurance coverage for three years under a NFIP group insurance policy. After three years, recipients are expected to pay for the policy on their own to assure continued coverage.

  • Increased Cost of Compliance coverage allows you to meet new building requirements enacted by local or state governments. Your National Flood Insurance policy includes up to $30,000 available from the policy to bring a home or business into compliance with a community's floodplain ordinance.

Get out of or above the floodplain.

Elevate appliances or electrical panels, including those replaced by FEMA's Individuals and Households Program as the result of a flood, to protect them from a recurrence of damage.
The U. S. Small Business Administration can consider up to 20 percent of the approved disaster loan amount to be increased for a home or business repair loan for mitigation measures or otherwise protect the property from future damage. Businesses also may receive the same allowance for mitigation purposes.

Make home repairs that can help you avoid or reduce future damage:

  • Install a back flow valve.

  • Elevate or relocate electrical panel and water heater.

  • Elevate or relocate clothes washer and dryer.

  • Level and anchor mobile home and anchor fuel storage tank.

  • Install interior floodwall.

  • Relocate or suspend heating system.

Get a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather radio.

NOAA weather radio broadcasts National Weather Service warnings, watches, forecasts and other hazard information 24 hours a day. The units may be purchased for about $50 at most electronics stores.

Stock and maintain a disaster kit.

A disaster supply kit...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: