Meade County To Get Additional Federal Aid

Main Content
Release date: 
June 5, 2003
Release Number: 

Lenexa, KS -- Meade County, one of several counties with damage from the May tornadoes and storms, was originally added to the president's disaster declaration for individual assistance. The declaration has now been amended to qualify Meade county for public assistance.

"Our review of the information that has been provided indicates enough significant damage to amend the original disaster declaration and make Meade county eligible for additional federal assistance," said Federal Coordinating Officer Mike Hall.

Under the public assistance program, governmental entities in Meade County can apply for help with eligible costs associated with debris removal, emergency protective measures, and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities. Disaster assistance may also be provided to repair, restore or replace facilities owned by certain private, nonprofit organizations that operate and maintain educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care or other essential governmental service facilities.

Under the individual assistance program, residents who suffered damage from the May storms may apply for grants for short-term rental needs, minimal home repairs or to meet serious disaster-related needs not covered by other programs. They may also be eligible for low-interest U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans for any disaster-related damage and/or to replace damaged personal property.

Those adversely affected by the May storms and tornadoes should apply for assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) even if they have insurance. Hearing and speech impaired individuals may call TTY at 1-800-462-7585. This is the first and most important step in the application process.

If the primary residence on a farm or ranch was damaged or destroyed by the recent disaster, state and federal assistance may be available by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Agri-business losses are not covered by FEMA programs.

Farmers and ranchers can apply for assistance from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Farm Service Agency (FSA). For information on FSA programs, individuals should call their local county offices.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top