Springfield, IL -- A total of $2,034,620 in grants and low-interest disaster loans has been approved for disaster assistance in Illinois since the Presidential declaration of May 15, according to figures released today by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA).
Disaster recovery officials urge anyone who suffered damages or loss from the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding that occurred between May 6 and May 10 to apply for assistance by calling the FEMA toll-free registration number 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with a speech or hearing impairment can call TTY 1-800-462-7585. Both lines are open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. The deadline to apply for assistance is July 14.
The following is an update of recovery activities as of close of business Sunday, June 1:
- 612 individuals from the declared counties had called to apply for assistance
- 362 people had visited the Disaster Recovery Centers in Lima, Metropolis and South Pekin
- 133 temporary rental assistance grants were approved, totaling $117,921
- 54 emergency essential repair grants were approved, totaling $204,125
- 100 Other Needs Assistance grants were approved, totaling $494,474 - may include grants for medical, dental, funeral, personal property, transportation and other eligible expenses
- 422 U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest disaster loan applications were issued: 318 to homeowners, 104 to business owners
- $1,218,100 in SBA low-interest disaster loans were approved
Disaster Recovery Centers are open for disaster victims to meet face-to-face with representatives from various assistance agencies. The following two centers are open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday until further notice:
- Metropolis Community Center, Superman Square, Metropolis
- Cincinnati Township Building, 204 East Main Street, South Pekin
The Disaster Recovery Center located at the Lima Fire Station (316 N. Rangeline St.) will operate 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. through Thursday, closing operation at 6 p.m. on June 5.