Jackson, MS -- State and federal disaster recovery officials issued these recovery assistance tips for residents of Mississippi who suffered uninsured or underinsured losses resulting from the May 5th through 8th severe storms, tornadoes and high winds.
The essential first step is to call, toll-free, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) to apply for disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The speech or hearing impaired should call 1-800-462-7585. This is the only way to obtain the assistance you are eligible to receive.
Other suggestions for getting help as quickly as possible include:
- Be sure FEMA has a current telephone number that will reach you and
that your street address is prominently displayed. Your damage will
be inspected. Arrange to be at home and allow sufficient time for the
inspection. Missing the inspection appointment will delay getting help.
- If you change locations after applying for federal/state assistance,
call the FEMA application number to update your new phone number and/or
address. We cannot help you if we cannot find you.
- You should apply even if you have some insurance. This establishes
your eligibility for assistance in case hidden damage is discovered
after you have settled with your insurance company. Even those insured
may be qualified for some federal/state assistance programs. Damage
must be disaster-related, however.
- You don't have to be a property owner to receive federal assistance.
If you are a renter and lost essential personal property and are not
insured for the loss, help in getting replacement is available.
- Renters and homeowners forced from their homes by disaster damage
may apply for housing assistance in order to temporarily relocate while
repairs are made.
- If you receive an SBA loan application you should complete and return
it even if you do not want a loan; it may
help determine your eligibility for a grant.
- To check the status of your application, or if you need to amend your application, for example, to report newly discovered damage, contact FEMA's information Helpline using the toll-free number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). The speech or hearing impaired should call 1-800-462-7585.
The counties in which residents are eligible for disaster aid are: Calhoun, Clay, Chickasaw, Itawamba, Lee, Lowndes, Monroe, Pontotoc and Webster.