Springfield, IL -- State, federal, local and voluntary agencies continue to assist Illinois residents affected by the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding that occurred May 6 through May 11. To date, $1,296,430 in disaster recovery grants and disaster loans has been approved to help in the recovery process, according to reports from the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
The following is an update of recovery activities as of close of business Monday, May 26:
- 452 individuals from the declared counties had called to apply for assistance
- 210 people had visited the Disaster Recovery Centers in Lima, Metropolis and South Pekin
- 103 temporary rental assistance grants were approved, totaling $92,528
- 32 emergency essential repair grants were approved, totaling $144,200
- 61 Other Needs Assistance grants were approved, totaling $350,902 - may include grants for medical, dental, funeral, personal property, transportation and other eligible expenses
- 256 U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest disaster loan applications were issued: 200 to homeowners, 56 to business owners
- $708,800 in SBA low-interest disaster loans were approved
Persons in the declared counties of Adams, Alexander, Brown, Fulton, Greene, Hancock, Mason, Massac, McDonough, Pike, Pope, Pulaski, Schuyler, Tazewell or Woodford who suffered damage or loss to a home or business are encouraged to apply for disaster assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with a speech or hearing impairment should call TTY 1-800-462-7585.
Both phone lines are open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday until further notice.
People who want to talk face-to-face with disaster recovery officials can visit one of the FEMA/IEMA disaster recovery centers located at Metropolis Community Center in Superman Square in Metropolis; Cincinnati Township Building at 204 East Main Street in South Pekin; and Lima Fire Station at 316 North Rangeline Street in Lima. The centers will no longer be open on Sundays. The hours of operation are 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday until further notice.