Residents Of Six More Counties Can Call For Disaster Aid

Main Content
Release date: 
May 23, 2003
Release Number: 

Birmingham, AL -- Residents of Baldwin, Clarke, Escambia, Mobile, Monroe and Washington counties today became eligible to apply for federal disaster assistance for losses suffered as a result of this month's severe storms, tornadoes and flooding.

Gracia Szczech, of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and federal coordinating officer for the Alabama disaster recovery, said the six counties were added to the list of eligible jurisdictions based on a continuing assessment of damage data gathered by federal and state disaster recovery officials.

The designation means that residents and business owners in these counties are eligible to apply for housing assistance, low-interest loans to repair or replace damaged property, or grants for other needs and necessary expenses not met by other programs.

Affected residents and business owners in the county may apply for assistance by calling the toll-free application number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with a speech or hearing impairment may call a special number, TTY 1-800-462-7585. Both lines are open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week.

There are now 38 counties whose residents are eligible for the individual assistance programs authorized as a result of a major disaster declaration issued by President Bush on May 12. The counties are Baldwin, Barbour, Bibb, Blount, Bullock, Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Clarke, Clay, Cleburne, Colbert, Coosa, Cullman, DeKalb, Escambia, Etowah, Jackson, Jefferson, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Lee, Limestone, Macon, Madison, Marshall, Mobile, Monroe, Morgan, Randolph, Russell, Shelby, St. Clair, Talladega, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, Walker and Washington.

Szczech also said that communities and some non-profit agencies in Colbert County have been added to those counties eligible for 75 percent federal share of the costs of emergency services, debris removal and to repair or replace public facilities such as roads, bridges, buildings and utilities.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top