Toll-Free Application Number Available For Those Affected By Severe Weather

Main Content
Release date: 
May 19, 2003
Release Number: 

Springfield, IL -- A toll-free application telephone number is now operational for those who suffered property damage or loss in the declared counties affected by the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding occurring May 6 through 11.

Ron Sherman, federal coordinating officer, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and William C. Burke, state coordinating officer, Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) said those affected by the disaster may apply for assistance immediately by calling this toll-free number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. seven days a week until further notice. Those with speech or hearing impairment may call TTY 1-800-462-7585.

Even if residents have already registered with the Red Cross, Salvation Army or another voluntary agency or have reported damage to county or local officials, they can apply for the state and federal assistance programs only by calling FEMA's toll-free number.

In response to a request from Governor Rod Blagojevich, President Bush signed a major disaster declaration May 15. The declaration designated the counties of Adams, Alexander, Brown, Fulton, Hancock, Mason, Massac, Pope, Pulaski, Schuyler, Tazewell and Woodford eligible for federal aid to help meet the recovery needs of stricken residents and business owners.

The declaration makes residents of these counties eligible for a wide range of programs such as funding for temporary disaster housing assistance, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest disaster loans for individuals and businesses to repair or replace damaged property, replacement grants for serious disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or other assistance programs, and disaster unemployment assistance.

"Your phone call is your application for both state and federal assistance available under the disaster declaration. Telephone application has proven to be the simplest, quickest, most efficient and confidential way to apply," William C. Burke said.

When calling to apply have the following information available:

  • Your current phone number
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying
  • Your Social Security number, if available
  • A general list of damages and losses you suffered
  • If insured, the name of your company or agent and your policy number
  • General financial information
  • Bank account coding if you wish to speed up your assistance with direct deposit

"Don't prejudge your eligibility. Call the application number now, even if you don't have all the information necessary at this time," Ron Sherman said. "It's important that all residents get the assistance available to them as quickly as possible."

Government disaster assistance covers basic needs only and will not normally compensate you for your entire loss. If you have insurance, the government may help pay for basic needs not covered under your insurance policy. Residents should contact their insurance agent first, then if they have unmet needs they should call FEMA to apply. Some disaster aid does not have to be paid back, while other forms of help may come in the form of loans. The FEMA representative will explain the details to you when you call.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top