Temporary Housing Provides Short Term Comfort

Main Content
Release date: 
May 19, 2003
Release Number: 

Lenexa, KS - To meet the needs of Kansas tornado victims who have been displaced from their homes, the State of Kansas and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) are working in partnership to provide temporary housing options which may include mobile homes or travel trailers.

"One of the main concerns of people whose lives have been disrupted by a devastating tornado or storm is where they are going to stay while their homes are repaired," says Craig Trupp, FEMA Deputy Individual Assistance Officer. "Providing this temporary housing will ease at least some of their worries."

Alternative housing is only a temporary option provided when adequate rental resources are not available. For some homeowners, funds for minimal home repairs may be obtained through federal and state grants to make their residence safe, sanitary, and functioning. Temporary alternative housing while repairs are made is also available for renters whose apartment homes have been damaged and are un-livable due to the disaster.

Small Business Administration (SBA) loans are available for repair or replacement of all disaster related damage for uninsured or underinsured losses.

Individuals who have a housing need due to the tornadoes and storms beginning May 4 and continuing should call the toll-free registration number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) (TTY 1-800-462-7585) too register for disaster assistance.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top