Be Prepared To Document Storm Losses

Main Content
Release date: 
May 14, 2003
Release Number: 

Nashville, TN -- Following the traditional Boy Scout motto, Tennesseans who apply for federal/state disaster aid for losses stemming from the severe storms and tornadoes of early May should be prepared to document their damage.

Michael Bolch of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the official in charge of federal recovery operations, said assistance can be expedited if residents of the disaster counties have the necessary information at hand.

To receive disaster assistance applicants must first register with FEMA toll-free by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). The number for persons with hearing impairment is 1-800-462-7585 (TTY). They will be asked to provide a name, Social Security number, address, telephone number and insurance information.

"There are a number of other things that will facilitate the claim," said State Coordinating Officer John D. White of the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency. "Photographs of actual damages and receipts for expenditures on disaster-related losses or damages are invaluable."

The declared counties are Carroll, Cheatham, Chester, Crockett, Dickson, Dyer, Gibson, Hardeman, Haywood, Henderson, Henry, Houston, Lake, Lauderdale, Madison, Montgomery, Obion, Robertson, Stewart and Weakley.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top