FEMA Funds Additional Houston Clean-Up

Main Content
Release date: 
April 14, 2003
Release Number: 
R6-03-08

Denton, TX -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said today it has obligated an additional $1.2 million to the State of Texas to fund the City of Houston's removal of Tropical Storm Allison debris from public property, public streets and right-of-ways. The increased funding resulted from a state audit of Houston's clean-up efforts and the city's submission of additional supporting information.

"We are committed to helping communities recover from disaster," said Michael D. Brown, FEMA director and under secretary designee for the Emergency Preparedness and Response Directorate, a part of the Department of Homeland Security. "We treat each applicant fairly and review information thoroughly. This grant provides additional funds that will help Houston with its continued recovery from Tropical Storm Allison."

FEMA provides 75 percent of the project's $1.6 million cost. The remaining 25 percent non-federal share comes from local resources.

The FEMA funds are made available under the Public Assistance Program. The State of Texas administers the program under which eligible disaster-related costs are reimbursed to government units and some non-profit organizations in the areas of emergency protective measures, debris removal and restoration of public facilities.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top