Tornado Safe Room Rebates Available

Main Content
Release date: 
March 31, 2003
Release Number: 
R6-03-06

Denton, TX -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency is making $750,000 available to Logan County to fund tornado safe rooms in Mulhall and other Logan County communities.

The grant announced today will provide a $1500 rebate to about 500 Logan County residents that install or build tornado safe rooms. Logan County experienced devastation on May 3, 1999, when tornadoes destroyed 95 percent of the Town of Mulhall. The May 1999 tornado proved that safe rooms save lives.

"As a native Oklahoman, I know how devastating tornadoes are," said Michael D. Brown, FEMA Director and under secretary designee for Emergency Preparedness and Response in the Department of Homeland Security. "The funds announced today will save lives in future tornadoes."

FEMA provides 75 percent of the project's $1 million cost, with the remaining 25 percent coming from state and local resources. Logan County residents interested in the rebate program should contact county officials.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top