Toll-Free Application Number Available For Those Affected By The Severe Winter Storms

Main Content
Release date: 
March 17, 2003
Release Number: 

Chillicothe, OH -- A toll-free application telephone number is now operational for those who suffered property damage or loss in the declared counties affected by the severe winter storms beginning on February 14, 2003.

Ron Sherman, federal coordinating officer, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Dale Shipley, state coordinating officer, Ohio Emergency Management Agency (EMA) said those affected by the disaster may apply for assistance immediately by calling this toll-free number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.
Those with speech or hearing impairment may call TTY 1-800-462-7585.

Even if residents have already registered with the Red Cross, Salvation Army or another voluntary agency or have reported damage to county or local officials, they can apply for the state and federal assistance programs only by calling FEMA's toll-free number.

In response to a request from Governor Bob Taft, President Bush signed a major disaster declaration March 14. The declaration designated the counties of Adams, Jackson, Lawrence, Pike and Scioto eligible for federal aid to help meet the recovery needs of stricken residents and business owners.

The declaration makes residents of these counties eligible for a wide range of programs such as funding for temporary disaster housing assistance, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest loans for individuals and businesses to repair or replace damaged property, replacement grants for serious disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or other assistance programs, and disaster unemployment assistance.

"Your phone call is your application for both state and federal assistance available under the disaster declaration. Telephone application has proven to be the simplest, quickest, most efficient and confidential way to apply," Dale Shipley said.

When calling to apply have the following information available:

  • Your current phone number;
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying;
  • Your Social Security number, if available;
  • A general list of damages and losses you suffered;
  • If insured, the name of your company or agent and your policy number;
  • General financial information; and
  • Bank account coding if you wish to speed up your assistance with direct deposit

"Don't prejudge your eligibility; call the application number now, even if you don't have all the information necessary at this time," Ron Sherman said. "It's important that all residents get the assistance available to them."

Government disaster assistance covers basic needs only and will not normally compensate you for your entire loss. If you have insurance, the government may help pay for basic needs not covered under your insurance policy. Residents should contact their insurance agent first, then if they have unmet needs they should call FEMA to apply. Some disaster aid does not have to be paid back, while other forms of help may come in the form of loans. The FEMA representative will explain the details to you when you call.

When disaster strikes, the Federal Emergency Management Agency administers a number of disaster assistance programs and coordinates the efforts of many other federal agencies that provide services to help people through the recovery process. The types of assistance that are available include:

Federal/State Emergency Management Agency Programs

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top