Dededo, Guam -- Disaster assistance to the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands for damages from Super Typhoon Pongsona is nearing the $10 million dollar mark, according to figures released today by disaster officials.
Residents and businesses in Rota have just two more days to register with FEMA for assistance. In Saipan and Tinian, officials are preparing to conduct public assistance Applicant Briefings on February 27 and 28 for governmental agencies and certain private non-profit organizations that sustained losses as a result of the typhoon.
Recovery operations in Rota have produced the following results:
- Housing Assistance: Approximately $1.2 million in housing assistance,
such as rental or home repair, has been approved.
- Other Needs Assistance: More than $1.7 million has been approved
for personal property, transportation or other miscellaneous items not
covered by insurance or other assistance programs.
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA): Nearly $6.6 million in
low-interest loans to homeowners, renters, and businesses of all sizes
has been approved.
- Public Assistance: The first two Project Worksheets totaling $3,600
have been approved for public assistance funding.
- Registrations: A total of 744 applications have been received.
- To date, more than 1,212 people have visited the Disaster Recovery
Center at the Northern Mariana College. The DRC is scheduled to close
at 6 p.m. on Monday, February 24.
- FEMA Home Inspections: A total of 702 home inspections have been completed.
Monday, February 24 is the last day FEMA will accept disaster assistance applications from residents and business owners who sustained damage from Typhoon Pongsona. To register for assistance, individuals and business owners who suffered losses or damages during Typhoon Pongsona are encouraged to register by calling FEMA'S toll-free number at 1-800-621-3362 or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the speech - or hearing- impaired.
People can call to register on Saturday, February 22 and on Monday, February 24, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CNMI time.
People who have already registered with FEMA but need to update their information or who have questions about the status of their application, should call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362 or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the speech- or hearing- impaired Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. CNMI time.