Kansas City, MO -- With tornado season quickly approaching, and severe weather always a threat, Missouri residents should be aware that the state has nearly 100 percent coverage for National Weather Service Radio transmissions.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Region VII recently approved two hazard mitigation grants to help fund the installation of weather radio transmitters in Barry and Pulaski counties.
On January 14, the agency approved the application of Show-Me Electrical Co-op in Pulaski County to install a transmitter on an existing tower owned by the electrical cooperative. Show-Me Electrical Co-op is donating tower space to make this project possible. The National Weather Service will provide service as long as the co-op continues to allow the tower space to be used to house the transmitter. When this project is completed Phelps, Pulaski, and Maries counties, which include Fort Leonard Wood and Rolla, will have full coverage.
On February 5, FEMA Region VII approved a grant to KAMO Electrical Co-op to help fund the installation of one transmitter near Cassville, Missouri in Barry County on an existing tower owned by the electric cooperative. When this project is completed all of Barry County and parts of Lawrence, Newton and McDonald counties will be covered by the weather radio warning system.
Since 1997, FEMA has approved seven grants, including the grants to Pulaski and Barry county co-ops, for weather transmitter projects in Missouri through its Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. Costs for these seven projects were $656,550. Of that, the federal share was $499,380.
FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program provides 75 percent of the funds for approved projects that lessen or eliminate the loss of lives and property in future disasters. The remaining 25 percent must come from non-federal sources.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Weather Radio system is a nationwide network of radio stations broadcasting continuous weather information 24 hours a day. The service provides the latest weather information directly from the National Weather Service, including forecasts, watches and warnings daily. This is an all-hazards radio network, making it a single source for comprehensive emergency as well as weather information. There are now over 750 transmitters in the nation and U.S. territories. NOAA Weather Radio receivers may be purchased at retail stores selling consumer electronics or home entertainment equipment.
For more information on the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program visit http://www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-grant-program-hmgp. Information on the Weather Radio system can be found at www.nws.noaa.gov/