FEMA Assistance Climbing To $11 Million As North Carolina Applicants Receive Reimbursement For Ice Storm Damage

Main Content
Release date: 
February 10, 2003
Release Number: 
1448-19

Raleigh, N.C. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today that it has provided almost $11 million in federal funds to help cover the cost of damages and emergency costs incurred by communities, state agencies and non-profit agencies in last December's ice storm.

According to Federal Coordinating Officer Michael Bolch, the funds were made available through FEMA's Public Assistance program in the 43 counties that were named after North Carolina was declared a disaster area by President Bush.

Under the program, which is administered by the State of North Carolina, eligible costs have been reimbursed to governments and certain non-profit units providing emergency protective measures ($612,023), debris removal ($7,981,786), and restoration of public utilities ($1,974,331) and public buildings ($22,636). The total so far: $10,590,816.

"These numbers will continue to increase dramatically in the next few weeks as various projects around the state are completed," State Coordinating Officer Dr. Kenneth B. Taylor said. "FEMA provides 75 percent of the various projects' costs, with the remaining 25 percent coming from the State."

"Ensuring that vital community services are restored as quickly as possible is part of our continuing commitment to help North Carolina achieve a full and lasting recovery," Dr. Taylor explained.

Nearly 300 applications for reimbursement representing about 750 separate projects have been submitted to FEMA from organizations statewide.

The 43 counties designated for Public Assistance include Alamance, Alexander, Anson, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Catawba, Chatham, Cleveland, Davidson, Davie, Durham, Edgecombe, Franklin, Gaston, Granville, Guilford, Halifax, Harnett, Iredell, Johnston, Lee, Lincoln, McDowell, Mecklenburg, Montgomery, Moore, Nash, Northampton, Orange, Person, Polk, Randolph, Richmond, Rowan, Rutherford, Stanly, Union, Vance, Wake, Warren, Wayne and Wilson.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top