Hospital Flood Protection Moves Forward With FEMA Grant

Main Content
Release date: 
February 7, 2003
Release Number: 
R6-03-04

Denton, TX -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced another hospital flood protection grant today for the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. The $7.5 million grant will fund enhancements to the existing earthen berm system, construction of a perimeter floodwall system with flood doors and floodgates, pumping and drainage improvements and protection of critical electrical and mechanical systems on the basement level.

Tropical Storm Allison's heavy rains and high winds caused severe flooding to many Houston hospitals in June 2001 and resulted in an estimated $5 billion in damage to greater Houston. "Flood mitigation saves money. We have proven that with projects in Houston and around the country," said FEMA Director Joe Allbaugh. "We encourage other hospitals, businesses and homeowners to take steps now to prevent future flood losses."

The cost of the flood mitigation project is approximately $10 million. FEMA provides 75 percent of the project's cost through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program and the remaining 25 percent comes from local resources. FEMA awarded a $350,000 planning grant to the hospital in February 2002. The mitigation plan guides flood protection efforts.

Today's announcement increases the total FEMA Tropical Storm Allison mitigation assistance to Texas Medical Center institutions and other Houston hospitals to nearly $43.5 million.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top