FEMA Awards Flood Protection Grant to St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital

Main Content
Release date: 
February 7, 2003
Release Number: 
R6-03-03a

Denton, TX -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said today it has obligated $4.2 million to the State of Texas to fund flood protection measures at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital in Houston, Texas. The project announced today will fund the installation of a perimeter flood protection wall, relocation of emergency power distribution equipment and floodproofing of critical utilities at St. Luke's Medical Tower.

Tropical Storm Allison's heavy rains and high winds caused severe flooding to many Houston hospitals in June 2001 and resulted in an estimated $5 billion in damage. "We support efforts at St. Luke's to reduce the chance of future flood damages," said FEMA Director Joe Allbaugh. "We encourage other hospitals, businesses and homeowners to take steps now to prevent future flood losses."

The cost of the flood mitigation project is approximately $5.7 million. FEMA provides 75 percent of the project's cost through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program and the remaining 25 percent comes from local resources. FEMA awarded previous flood protection grants that exceeded $1.1 million to St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital.

Today's announcement increases the total FEMA Tropical Storm Allison mitigation assistance to Texas Medical Center institutions and other Houston hospitals to nearly $43.5 million.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top