FEMA Awards Flood Protection Grant to Christus St. Joseph Hospital

Main Content
Release date: 
February 7, 2003
Release Number: 
R6-03-03

Denton, TX -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said today it has obligated $832,500 to the State of Texas to fund flood protection measures at Christus St. Joseph Hospital in Houston, Texas. The project announced today will fund the installation of flood control barriers and floodgates at each of twelve door openings at the hospital's Pavilion Building.

Tropical Storm Allison's heavy rains and high winds caused severe flooding to many Houston hospitals in June 2001 and resulted in an estimated $5 billion in damage. "We support efforts at Christus St. Joseph to reduce the chance of future flood damages," said FEMA Director Joe Allbaugh. "We encourage other hospitals, businesses and homeowners to take steps now to prevent future flood losses."

The cost of the flood mitigation project is $1.1 million. FEMA provides 75 percent of the project's cost through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program and the remaining 25 percent comes from local resources. FEMA awarded three additional flood protection grants that exceeded $500,000 to Christus St. Joseph Hospital.

Today's announcement increases the total FEMA Tropical Storm Allison mitigation assistance to Texas Medical Center institutions and other Houston hospitals to nearly $43.5 million.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top