FEMA To Pay Walker County And Carbon Hill 75 Percent Of Cost For Debris Cleanup

Main Content
Release date: 
January 29, 2003
Release Number: 
1442-18

Washington, DC - The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today that it will reimburse the Alabama communities of Walker County and Carbon Hill for expenses to remove debris left by tornadoes that hit the communities on November 11, 2002.

"Towns, cities and counties do a great job in taking care of the routine removal of trash and debris, but most do not have the money or people to remove the amount of debris created by these storms," said FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh. "FEMA's recovery programs help in cases like this."

The estimated total cost for removing the debris in Walker County is $2,039,724. FEMA will reimburse the city for 75 percent of that cost, or $1,529,793. State and local government will cover the remaining 25 percent ($509,931).

The estimated total cost for removing the debris in Carbon Hill is $2,910.333. FEMA will reimburse the city for 75 percent of that cost, or $2,182,750. State and local government will cover the remaining 25 percent ($727,584).

FEMA and the State of Alabama will continue to work with the communities that were affected by last year's tornadoes.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top