SWLA Electric Corp To Receive $8.6 million FEMA Public Assistance Grant

Main Content
Release date: 
January 28, 2003
Release Number: 
1437-156

Baton Rouge, LA -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved $8,632,391 to help pay for emergency response efforts to Hurricane Lili by Southwest LA Electric Membership Corp (SLEMCO), FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh announced today.

Hurricane Lili caused extensive damage to the electrical distribution system throughout the SLEMCO service area. At the peak, more than 83,000 SLEMCO customers suffered power outages.

FEMA will provide 75 percent of the $11.5 million repair cost, and the remaining 25 percent will come from state and local funds.

"We're pleased to receive this public assistance grant," said Art Jones, State Coordinating Officer for Louisiana. "The funds help the communities affected by Hurricane Lili continue their recovery efforts."

"Our Public Assistance program is another example of the strong working partnership between the state of Louisiana and FEMA," said Allbaugh. "We remain committed to helping Louisiana recover from Hurricane Lili.

Funds are available under the FEMA Public Assistance Program, and are administered by the State of Louisiana Office of Emergency Preparedness. Under this program, eligible disaster-related costs are reimbursed to government, tribal and certain non-profit entities, in the areas of emergency protective measures, debris removal and restoration of public facilities.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top