Disaster Aid Available Through Individual And Family Grants

Main Content
Release date: 
November 1, 2002
Release Number: 
1427-10

Dededo, Guam -- As part of the disaster recovery effort, the Individual and Family Grant (IFG) Program has been activated for the people of Chuuk State, according to Federal and FSM disaster recovery officials.

"The program provides grants to persons who have serious disaster-related needs and expenses that are not covered by any federal, state and volunteer disaster assistance programs," FCO Bill Carwile said.

The grant program is one of the many assistance programs triggered by the major disaster declaration President Bush issued July 11 at the request of FSM President Leo A. Falcam. The program is administered by Chuuk state, which also pays 25% of the grant amount. The federal government provides the remaining 75% of the costs for grant awards.

Already, more than $1 million has been approved for the program, with check distribution getting underway on Oct. 26. Grants are distributed daily at the Suzuki building on Weno. Applicants are being notified of appointment dates and time via radio and TV announcements.

The grants are administered by Chuuk State IFG personnel and can be used to cover disaster-related expenses such as medical and dental bills, funeral expenses, and replacement of essential lost items, such as personal property.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top