Quincy Fire Department Receives FEMA Grant

Main Content
Release date: 
October 29, 2002
Release Number: 
R1-02-21

Boston, MA -- Mayor William Phelan and Acting Chief Paul O'Connell were joined by Congressman William Delahunt and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Regional Director, Daniel A. Craig to accept a $293,763 check as part of a grant that the fire department was awarded in September.

The Quincy Fire Department was awarded this grant for protective gear under the 2002 FEMA and U.S. Fire Administration's (USFA) Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program. It was with the assistance of local and state officials that this grant was forthcoming to the City of Quincy.

"We have a great group of guys working in the fire department who risk their lives each and every day for the residents of Quincy. It is essential that they have the proper equipment to do their job and protective gear that meets the necessary standards is a positive step toward ensuring their safety," said Mayor Phelan. "The support of our federal and state officials in the form of grant money is also appreciated."

"The events of September 11 were a dramatic reminder of the extraordinary risks and routine heroism of those on the front lines of public safety," Delahunt said. "From car crashes to arson to bioterror, the volume and complexity of the challenges facing firefighters is staggering. By better equipping Quincy firefighters, this grant will help enhance first response throughout the city."

This grant request, written in-house by Quincy firefighters and submitted earlier this summer, requested funding for members of the Quincy Fire Department to be equipped with complete structural fire fighting equipment that meets National Fire Protection Agency 1971 Standard on Protective Clothing for Structural Fire Fighting. The total cost to fulfill this request was $415,375, which would provide each member of the department with this equipment. Of this amount, FEMA will provide the City of Quincy the sum of $290,763, which is 70% of the total grant amount. The Quincy Fire Department will provide the remaining 30% or $124,375 out of the 2003 budget from existing funds.

"FEMA is committed to helping reduce death, injuries and personal losses due to fires in this region," said Daniel A. Craig, Regional Director for FEMA's office in Boston. "The most important resource we have are our partners at the federal, state and local levels that work with communities at greatest risk."

For more information on this and other grants available through FEMA, please go to www.usfa.fema.gov

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top