The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research Safeguards Against Flooding

Main Content
Release date: 
October 23, 2002
Release Number: 
R6-02-10a

Denton, TX - The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said today it has approved nearly $1.4 million to the State of Texas to relocate critical departments at The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research in Houston, Texas to areas not subject to flooding. The Institute serves patients with serious brain or spinal cord injuries as well as illnesses that require catastrophic rehabilitation.

Tropical Storm Allison, the most costly tropical storm in U.S. history, caused severe flooding to many Houston hospitals in June 2001. FEMA Director Joe Allbaugh, said, "We encourage efforts to eliminate disaster risks at critical facilities. This project will ensure that The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research can continue serving patients even when floods threaten Houston again."

The cost of the flood mitigation project is $1.9 million. FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Grant Program provides 75 percent of the project's cost and the remaining 25 percent comes from local resources. Earlier this year, FEMA awarded nearly $3 million in mitigation funding for the construction of a floodwall and building upgrades to protect three Institute buildings from flooding.

With today's announcement, FEMA has approved nearly $125 million in Tropical Storm Allison repair and mitigation assistance to Texas Medical Center institutions and other Houston hospitals.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top