Main Content

Sisseton Wahpeton Sioux Nation Tribe Receives FEMA Grant To Reduce Disaster Threat

Main Content
Release date: 
October 10, 2002
Release Number: 

Denver, CO -- The Federal Emergency Management announced today a $132,486 Pre-disaster Mitigation Program grant to the Sisseton Wahpeton Sioux Nation in South Dakota.

"The foundation of all effective hazard mitigation efforts is a solid understanding of existing hazards, coupled with a plan to reduce risks from those hazards," said FEMA's Regional Director David Maurstad. "This grant will lay the groundwork for a strong tribal mitigation program, which will reduce the loss of life and property from future natural disasters."

The grant to develop the tribe's comprehensive plan addresses both pre-disaster preventative actions and post-disaster recovery plans for the reservation. Key components of the project include:

  • Identifying lowland areas prone to flooding
  • Identifying and removing physical obstacles such as debris and abandoned structures that can cause additional damage during flood events by blocking or diverting water flow
  • Developing and implementing a disaster prevention community education program
  • Initiating a training program to ensure the community education program is delivered effectively to community residents.

The grant is part of FEMA's Pre-disaster Mitigation program. The $132, 486 federal grant represents 90 percent of the estimated cost of completing the project, with the tribe providing the remaining 10 percent share.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top