Eastern Shoshone and Northern Arapahoe Tribes Receive FEMA Grant To Reduce Disaster Threat

Main Content
Release date: 
October 10, 2002
Release Number: 
R8-02-14

Denver, CO -- The Federal Emergency Management announced today a $166,500 Pre-disaster Mitigation Program grant to the Eastern Shoshone and Northern Arapahoe Tribes of the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming.

"The foundation of all effective hazard mitigation efforts is a solid understanding of existing hazards, coupled with a plan to reduce risks from those hazards," said FEMA's Regional Director David Maurstad. "This grant will lay the groundwork for a strong tribal mitigation program, which will ultimately reduce the loss of life and property from future natural disasters."

The tribes will develop a pre-disaster mitigation plan in partnership with Fremont County. During the anticipated 18-month project, tribal officials and the Fremont County Emergency Management Agency will focus on:

  • Conducting a hazard analysis
  • Conducting a risk assessment
  • Assessing the capabilities and resources already in place
  • Educating local officials and the public on mitigation strategies
  • Developing a joint Tribal Emergency Management System

The Pre-disaster Mitigation grant is awarded on a cost-share basis. The $166,500 federal grant represents 90 percent of the estimated cost of completing the project, with the tribe providing the remaining 10 percent share.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top