October 3, 2002
San Antonio, TX -- State and Federal Officials announce the latest information on the nine declared counties affected by Tropical Storm Fay:
- Registrations for disaster assistance number more
than 2,000 and officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency
(FEMA) have inspected more than 600 residences. State and federal officials
say there is currently an estimated turnaround time of two days from
the date an application is processed to the actual inspection date.
- Approved eligible amounts for disaster housing assistance in the
entire nine county area total more than $900,000 and Disaster Housings
checks have been issued for more than $700,000. Disaster Housing Checks
are issued to individuals whose property was damaged by Tropical Storm
Fay, or who have incurred housing expenses as a result of the storm.
- Three Disaster Recovery Centers are open to assist those seeking
help. The centers are located at Swinney Switch in Live Oak County,
at Sweeny in Brazoria County and at Robstown in Nueces County. The hours
of operation for each center are from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through
Saturday, and from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
- Crisis counselors for anyone suffering from emotional stress are
available at each Disaster Recovery Center (DRC), and contact information
for regional Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation
centers can also be obtained.
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has issued more than 800
applications for homes and businesses. A representative from SBA is
available at each Disaster Recovery Center to answer questions.
- Voluntary agencies have long-term recovery teams in place in Live
Oak, Corpus Christi and San Patricio. These teams assist with the unmet
needs of those who live in the nine counties affected by Tropical Storm
- Individuals may register for disaster assistance by calling a toll-free
registration line at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for
the speech or hearing impaired. The registration lines are open from
8 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: