San Antonio, TX -- The number of residents affected by the Texas floods of 2002 requiring disaster related information at the Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) has diminished and therefore the five following DRCs will close Friday, August 23, 2002, according to state and local officials.
- Joe Ward Community Center, 435 E. Sunshine, San Antonio, TX 78228
- Trinity Baptist Church, 800 Jackson Road, Kerrville, TX 78029
- Old Senior Citizen Center, 2609 South 7th, Abilene, TX 79605
- Middle Rio Grand Work Force Bldg., 261 W. Main (and Madrid), Uvalde, TX 78801
- Emergency Services Building (Fire Station), 914 FM 3024, Swinney Switch, TX 78350
Individuals can still visit the centers between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., Monday through Friday and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, August 17.
Even though a center closes, help is still as close as a telephone call. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) maintains a toll-free disaster phone line and anyone with questions about FEMA programs, the status of their applications or wanting to apply, may call 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY: 800-462-7585 for the hearing or speech impaired.
The deadline to apply for disaster-related assistance is Sept. 2, 2002.