$617,929 Approved For Navajo County Fire Cleanup

Main Content
Release date: 
August 5, 2002
Release Number: 

Mesa, AZ -- Navajo County will receive $617,929 for cleanup and debris removal in the wake of the Rodeo-Chediski fires, state and federal disaster agencies announced today.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved the 75 percent federal share of $463,446 under its Public Assistance program. The remaining 25 percent will be provided by state and local agencies, with the work to be supervised by state and local governments.

Navajo County has contracted to provide up to 40 waste disposal bins at strategic locations where homeowners can dispose of debris left after the fires. Eligible debris includes ashes, burned furniture and appliances, and other burned items. Material not eligible for the bins includes burned trees, vegetative matter, auto bodies, concrete slabs and foundations, and steel trailer frames that do not fit into the bins.

This portion of Navajo County's debris removal program is scheduled to conclude on September 16.

The Public Assistance program provides supplemental aid to states and communities to help them recover from major disasters as quickly as possible. The program provides assistance for removing debris and permanently restoring public infrastructure.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top