Time Running Out For Disaster Victims To Apply For Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
July 29, 2002
Release Number: 

Moorhead, MN -- Only two weeks remain for those Minnesota individuals and business owners who haven't yet applied for state and federal disaster assistance to make an application. Those affected by the June flooding should register as soon as possible by calling FEMA's registration line, 1-800-621-3362, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. The TTY number for the hearing or speech-impaired is 1-800-462-7585.

Tuesday, August 13, is the final day to apply for disaster assistance for those affected by the June 9 - 28 flooding in the disaster-designated counties of Becker, Beltrami, Clay, Clearwater, Itasca, Kittson, Koochiching, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Marshall, McLeod, Norman, Pennington, Polk, Red Lake, Roseau, and Wright.

"Don't assume you aren't eligible for assistance," urged Jerry Rosendahl, state coordinating officer and Minnesota Director of Emergency Management. "We don't want to miss anyone who has been affected by these weather events who may need help in the recovery process."

Assistance available to disaster victims includes grants for alternate rental housing and emergency repairs needed to make a residence habitable, and low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration for renters, homeowners and business owners for repair, replacement or rebuilding of disaster-damaged homes and businesses.

"FEMA will continue to process existing assistance applications, but the deadline for registering is August 13." Charles M. Butler, FEMA federal coordinating officer, said.

Even after the deadline, applicants may reach FEMA to get information about the status of their application by calling the toll-free number 1-800-621-3362.

Goodhue County and Hubbard County are eligible for public assistance only. Public assistance allows local governments to apply for federal assistance to fund 75 percent of the approved costs for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and repairing, restoring or replacing damaged public facilities.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top