Main Content

Need Disaster Help? Call First

Main Content
Release date: 
July 23, 2002
Release Number: 

Williston, VT -- State and federal emergency management officials say help is just a phone call away for Vermonters who experienced losses due to flooding in some northern counties June 5 through 13. According to representatives of Vermont Emergency Management (VEM) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the process begins with a toll-free call to FEMA's registration number: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). The TTY number for those who are hearing-or speech-impaired is: 1-800-462-7585. Operating hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Even though residents and business owners may have given their names to emergency workers at the time of the flooding, they must register by calling the toll-free number to apply for federal disaster assistance. It is helpful for the applicant to have the following information readily available: name, current and pre-disaster address, and current telephone numbers.

After registering with the toll-free number, applicants who require additional information can visit face-to-face with representatives from FEMA and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) at a Disaster Recovery Center. Centers are located in the Municipal Office Building in Lyndonville and the Barlow Street Community Center in St. Albans. Operating hours for both centers are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Disaster assistance is available to residents and business owners in Caledonia, Franklin, Lamoille, and Orleans counties.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top