Insured Should Apply For Disaster Assistance: Disaster Assistance Available For Uninsured And Under-Insured

Main Content
Release date: 
July 15, 2002
Release Number: 

Moorhead, MN -- Individuals who suffered damage from the Minnesota floods that began June 9, and were insured, may still be eligible for disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

"If you were uninsured or your insurance policy did not cover some of your disaster related damages or losses, FEMA may be able to help," said Federal Coordinating Officer Mike Butler. "If your insurance company did not fully cover your losses, take the first step and register with FEMA."

The law does not allow the government to provide disaster aid if losses have been fully compensated by an insurance claim.

Anyone who sustained damaged from the Minnesota flooding should register with FEMA by calling the toll-free teleregistration number 1-800-621-FEMA (3262). The number for deaf and hearing impaired individuals is 1-800-462-7585.

The disaster programs available include temporary housing, individual and family grants, low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration for homeowners, renters or business owners and other aid programs, including disaster unemployment assistance for self-employed individuals.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top