National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP): What is Covered in My Basement?

Main Content
Release date: 
July 8, 2002
Release Number: 

Indianapolis, IN -- Recent storms and floods in Allen county left many homes and businesses with damage to basements. Governor Frank O'Bannon has requested a U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster declaration to assist homeowners who have suffered damage from these storms and floods that occurred on June 26, 2002. Several thousand homeowners in Allen county are part of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) yet many are curious about what is covered by the flood insurance policy. The National Flood Insurance Program applies even when no Presidential Disaster is declared.

The NFIP defines a basement as any area of a building with a floor that is below ground level on all sides. While flood insurance does not cover basement improvements, such as finished walls, floors or ceilings, or personal belongings that may be kept in a basement, it does cover more expensive items that are necessary to the home. Many of these items are included under building coverage, and some under contents coverage. The NFIP encourages people to purchase both building and contents coverage for the broadest protection.

The following items are covered under building coverage, as long as they are connected to a power source and installed in their functioning location:

  • Sump pumps
  • Well water tanks and pumps, cisterns and the water in them
  • Oil tanks and the oil in them, natural gas tanks and the gas in them
  • Pumps and/or tanks used in conjunction with solar energy
  • Furnaces, hot water heaters, air conditioners, and heat pumps
  • Electrical junction and circuit breaker boxes, and required utility connections
  • Foundation elements
  • Stairways, staircases, elevators and dumbwaiters
  • Unpainted drywall and ceilings, including fiberglass insulation
  • Cleanup

The following items are covered under contents coverage:

  • Clothes washers and dryers
  • Food Freezers and the food in them

For more information, please contact your current insurance provider.

This press release was updated on 8/17/2005.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top