Main Content

Disaster Assistance Registration Deadline Is July 5

Main Content
Release date: 
June 11, 2002
Release Number: 

Less than a month remains for Virginia residents and businesses to register for disaster assistance. The deadline to register is July 5. State and federal assistance is available for damage caused by severe storms, flooding and tornadoes that occurred between April 28 and May 3 in eight counties and one independent city.

Renters, homeowners and businesses can register by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362). The number for the speech- or hearing- impaired is TTY 1-800-462-7585). Both numbers are available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

"Even if you have insurance that covers some of the damage," said Federal Coordinating Officer Louis Botta, "you should call and register with us. We may be able to help in ways that insurance cannot. Don't eliminate yourself from consideration."

Individuals in eligible areas may apply for a variety of programs, including grants to help pay for temporary housing, minor home repairs, and other serious disaster-related expenses. Low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) may also be available to cover the losses of renters, homeowners and businesses not fully compensated by insurance.

To date, more than 1400 Virginia households and businesses have registered for assistance. Statewide, more than $6 million in grants and low-interest loans has been made available for emergency rental assistance, unemployment assistance, home and business repair, replacement of personal property, and repair of public facilities.

For more information on state and federal assistance programs, or to update an application, call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 1-800-462-7585). For more information about SBA disaster loans, call 1-800-366-6303.

Areas included in the disaster declaration are: Bedford, Buchanan, Campbell, Cumberland, Greensville, Prince Edward, Shenandoah and Tazewell counties and the city of Bedford.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: