Main Content

Tornado And Storm Warnings By Radio

Main Content
Release date: 
June 3, 2002
Release Number: 

London, KY -- Seconds save lives! The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Federal Emergency Management Agency and Kentucky Emergency Management recommend that every home have as standard equipment a NOAA Weather Radio receiver. These receivers are equipped with a special alarm tone feature that can sound an alert and give you immediate information about a life-threatening situation.

During an emergency, National Weather Service forecasters will interrupt routine weather radio programming and send out the special tone that activates weather radios in the listening area. Public safety experts agree -- the receivers should be standard equipment in every home. NOAA Weather Radio now broadcasts warning and post event information for all types of hazards. They are especially valuable in places that are prone to tornado activities.

Through the NOAA Weather Radio, you'll not only receive emergency information, but also around-the-clock weather reports and information to help you prepare for the day ahead. The hearing-and-visually impaired also can get these warnings by connecting weather radios with alarm tones to other kinds of attention-getting devices like strobe lights, pagers, bed-shakers, personal computers and text printers. NOAA Weather Radio will also advise you of emergency conditions whether at home, at work, traveling, on vacation or at play.

The cost of a NOAA Weather Radio is less than that of a new pair of shoes. You can own a special weather radio that provides instant access to the same weather reports and emergency information that meteorologists and emergency personnel use-information that can save your life.

To purchase a NOAA Weather Radio, check with stores that sell electronics, or call the National Weather Service office closest to you. More information is available through the Weather Service's NOAA Weather Radio Web Site:

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top