Call and Apply for Tornado Housing Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
May 15, 2002
Release Number: 

Waldorf, MD -- "A simple call to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) can make all the difference to renters and homeowners who suffered damage as a result of the tornado," says Federal Coordinating Officer, Tom Davies.

Grants and loans can be a bridge until residents can get back into their homes following a disaster.

Residents of Charles, Calvert, and Dorchester counties should call FEMA's toll free number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362); (TTY: 1-800-462-7585) if their residence is unlivable because of the disaster-related conditions.

The following types of housing assistance are available:

  • Lodging Expenses Reimbursement: Covers costs of short-term lodging, such as hotel rooms when a home is unlivable. Paid receipts for the lodging expenses claimed must be provided.

  • Emergency Minimal Repair Assistance: Funds to help with repairs needed to make a home livable, as determined by a FEMA inspection. This is not intended to address all damage, or restore to pre-disaster condition.

  • Temporary Rental Assistance: Based on fair market rentals for a locality. Shelter rented for a limited time as a replacement for a pre-disaster household.

  • Mortgage And Rental Assistance: To pay rents or mortgages when eviction or foreclosure is threatened because of disaster-related income loss. Applicants must be living in a home and document a substantial reduction in household income due to disaster-related lost employment or business income.

State Coordinating Officer, Donald L. Keldsen of the Maryland Emergency Management Agency, also encourages residents to call the toll-free registration number. "Only upon application, can a citizen receive a decision concerning the level and type of assistance they may be eligible to receive. No action can be taken until the application is filed."

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top