Main Content

6 Disaster Recovery Centers Opening this Weekend

Main Content
Release date: 
May 10, 2002
Release Number: 

Beaver, WV -- Officials from the West Virginia Office of Emergency Services and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) have established six Disaster Recovery Centers (DRC) to assist individuals affected by the severe storms, flooding and landslides of May 2 and continuing.

The Disaster Recovery Centers will provide answers to questions, recovery information, and written materials about various assistance programs available to individuals and business owners. Some disaster programs include temporary housing assistance, low interest disaster loans, and grants for serious needs and expenses. The centers will be open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily until further notice, with the exception of the Matoaka and Northfork DRCs which will be closed of Election Day, May 14.

Disaster Recovery Centers opening Saturday May 11 will be located at:

Steven's Facility
791 Virginia Ave. (Route 52)
Welch, West Virginia

City Hall
Freibursch Ave. (Route 52)
North Fork, West Virginia

Town Hall/Recreation
100 Valley Street
Matoaka, West Virginia

Disaster Recovery Centers opening Sunday May 12 will be located at:

City Hall
100 Main Street (Route 52)
Kermit, West Virginia

Old Post Office
Mate and Ferrell Streets
Matewan, West Virginia

The Disaster Recovery Center opening Wednesday, May 15, will be located at:

City Hall
Main Street (Rt. 52)
Iaeger, West Virginia

FEMA Director Joe Allbaugh joined State Coordinating Officer Steve Kappa in encouraging individuals affected by the disaster to visit a center. "There are many programs available for homeowners, renters, and businesses," said Allbaugh. "This is a great opportunity for individuals to sit down with different agencies and get all of their questions answered concerning the recovery process."

Individuals who have been affected by the disaster are urged to start the application process before visiting a center by calling FEMA's toll-free number at 1-800-621-3362. Hearing and speech impaired individuals may call TTY at 1-800-462-7585.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: