Main Content

Tips For Disaster Applicants

Release date: 
May 5, 2002
Release Number: 

London, KY -- Federal and state disaster officials have issued the following tips to help residents in the 12 Kentucky counties who suffered damages from the severe storms, tornadoes and flooding that began on April 27 to expedite their applications for assistance.

  • Take action. To receive disaster assistance you must register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) by calling toll-free 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). For persons with speech or hearing impairments the number is toll-free 1-800-462-7585.
  • A FEMA inspector with proper identification will verify your damage. Be sure that FEMA has a telephone number where you can be reached and that the address at the damaged structure is prominently displayed.
  • Even if you are covered by insurance, you should register. This will protect you if damage is discovered after you have settled with the insurance company. All damage must be disaster-related, but you don't have to own real estate to get help recovering from your losses.
  • Fill out and return the U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loan application. No one is required to accept a loan, but the information in the application may determine your eligibility for other state and federal programs.
  • Renters forced from their homes by a disaster may receive rental assistance for other living quarters while necessary repairs are made. Also, help may be available to replace personal property in a rental home damaged or destroyed in a disaster.
  • FOLLOW UP - If you need to check on your status or amend your application, call the same numbers you used to register: toll-free 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or, for the speech or hearing impaired, toll-free 1-800-462-7585.
Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: