Wise, VA -- April 30,2002 - Dickenson County has received $112,600 in combined disaster loans and grants for individuals, businesses and government agencies affected by the March rains and flooding.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced the following figures on federal disaster assistance for Dickenson County, as of April 30.
- 105 registrations for disaster assistance.
- $94,661 for disaster housing assistance approved.
- $13,000 in Individual and Family Grant benefits for essential unmet
- $5,400 approved for U.S. Small Business Administration low interest loans.
Total federal disaster assistance for the Southwest Virginia counties of Dickenson, Lee, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise, and Wythe and the city of Norton has reached more than $3 million.
The deadline for registering for federal disaster assistance is June
1. Applicants should call the FEMA registration number, 1-800-621-3362.
Those who have already registered, but have questions or need to update
personal information, can call the FEMA Helpline, 1-800-621-3362. The
hours for both services are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and
both are available to the speech or hearing impaired by calling