First Individual And Family Grant Checks Approved

Main Content
Release date: 
April 17, 2002
Release Number: 
1406-22

Wise, VA -- More than $413,000 in Individual and Family Grants (IFG) has been approved to help victims of the March flooding in Southwest Virginia. Federal Coordinating Officer Louis Botta said the program provides grants to flood victims who have serious needs and disaster-related expenses that are not covered by insurance or other disaster assistance programs. The amounts of the IFG grants vary, depending on the unmet needs of applicants.

IFG grants are administered by the Virginia Department of Social Services.

State Coordinating Officer Michael M. Cline described the program as, "A safety net for people who have exhausted all other means of assistance and are still burdened with disaster-related needs they simply cannot meet." He emphasized that the grants are made only to those who do not qualify for U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans.

FEMA and Virginia Department of Emergency Management officials say even applicants who think they will not qualify for an SBA loan must apply and be determined to be ineligible before being considered for this type of grant.

FEMA provides 75 percent of the grant money. The other 25 percent is funded by the Commonwealth of Virginia.

The registration for any disaster assistance program begins with a call to FEMA's teleregistration number, 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top