Kansas City, MO -- Federal, state, local, and voluntary agencies are working in partnership to help Missourians recover from the January ice storm. The following is a summary of ongoing response and recovery efforts for the week of March 9 to March 15.
- Monday, March 25, 2002 is the last day for individuals residing in Barton, Cedar, Clark, Daviess, DeKalb, Knox, Lewis, Marion, Ralls, and Scotland counties to apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance.
- Monday, April 8, 2002 is the last day to apply for disaster assistance resulting from the January ice storm.
- To date, 17,100 Missourians affected by the ice storm have registered for assistance through FEMA's toll-free registration line, 1-800-621-FEMA. Recovery specialists take calls from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday until further notice. Anyone who suffered damages from the winter ice storm is encouraged to register.
- Currently, 43 Missouri counties are included in the Presidential disaster declaration.
- To date, $2,305,035 from FEMA's Disaster Housing program has been approved for Missourians to pay for temporary housing needs, including reimbursement for uninsured or underinsured hotel/motel expenses incurred by residents displaced by their homes due to power outages or home damage from the ice storms.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved more than $495,900 in disaster loan assistance.
- Inspectors are examining damaged properties of those who have registered for disaster assistance through the toll-free registration number. More than 3,950 housing inspections have already been completed.
- AmeriCorps teams have transitioned their operations to local area voluntary agencies. Working in partnership with other voluntary agencies the teams assisted 1,013 households in the Kansas City metropolitan area.
- To date, more than 1.2 million cubic yards of debris have been picked up in the Kansas City metro area.
Important Telephone Numbers:
Toll-Free Registration: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)
TTY (for hearing- and speech-impaired): 1-800-462-7585
Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.