Federal Disaster Funds Authorized For Oregon

Main Content
Release date: 
March 12, 2002
Release Number: 
HQ-02-021

Washington, DC -- Federal disaster funds have been made available to help communities in five Oregon counties recover from the effects of a severe winter windstorm that struck the western part of the state last month, according to the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh said the assistance was authorized under a major disaster declaration issued by President Bush following a review of the agency's analysis of the state's request for federal relief. The declaration covers damage to public property from the storm that occurred February 7-8.

Under the declaration, Allbaugh said federal funds will be provided for the state and affected local governments in the counties of Coos, Curry, Douglas, Lane and Linn to pay 75 percent of the eligible cost for debris removal, emergency services related to the storm, and restoring damaged public facilities. The declaration also makes cost-shared funding available to the state for approved projects that reduce future disaster risks.

Allbaugh, who designated the counties eligible for the aid after the declaration, indicated that additional designations may be made later if requested by the state and warranted by the results of further damage assessments. He named Thomas Davies of FEMA to coordinate the federal relief effort.

Davies said procedures for requesting assistance will be explained at a series of applicant briefings at locations to be announced shortly in the affected areas.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top