Uninsured? Underinsured? "Don't Rule Yourself Out"

Main Content
Release date: 
February 12, 2002
Release Number: 

Emporia, Kansas -- Kansas residents who suffered damages to their personal or business properties from the recent severe winter ice storms should register for recovery assistance whether the losses were insured or not.

That's the word today from state and federal officials coordinating the disaster recovery effort.

"People should never rule themselves out for recovery assistance," said Carlos Mitchell of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). "Of the many state and federal programs designed to help people rebuild after a disaster, there may be one or more to meet needs not addressed in individuals' insurance coverage. It is imperative that everyone, insured or not, call FEMA's toll-free registration number,1-800-621-FEMA to register for aid.

Persons with speech or hearing impairments may apply for assistance by calling TTY 1-800-462-7585. Registration lines are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week. As recovery continues, people are discovering that the cost of cleanup and repairs may be more than they originally estimated. Their insurance settlements may not cover all the costs; their homeowner's insurance doesn't cover ice storms; or they had no insurance at all.

"We want to make sure that everyone affected by the storm applies if they have disaster related expenses," said Angee Morgan, the Kansas Human Services Officer. "If they determine a need 60 days from now, it will be too late to apply."

The loss or spoilage of food is not a reimbursable item under these programs.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top