January 29, 2002
To protect yourself and your home in advance from the dangers associated with winter weather, FEMA recommends:
- Hiring a contractor to check the structural ability of the roof to sustain unusually heavy weight from snow accumulation.
- Cutting away tree branches that could fall on a house or other structure during a storm.
- Clearing leaves and other debris from gutters.
- Repairing roof leaks.
- Insulating pipes with insulation or newspapers and plastic and allowing faucets to drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing.
- Keeping heaters at least three feet from flammable objects.
- Avoiding the use of kerosene heaters, which pose significant risk. If you must use one, refuel outside.
- Learning how to shut off water valves.
- Promptly removing ice and snow from tree limbs, roof and other structures.
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: